Allotments have been on this site for 120 years and there are references back to 1833 for allotments in Romsey, promoted by landowners Lord Palmerston (future British Prime Minister) and John Willis Fleming and with plots let to ‘deserving labourers’, but we do not know the location of these. From 1885 this site has been subject to a tenancy agreement with the Broadlands Estate continuing the tradition of providing Romsey people with small working areas to practice horticulture by growing vegetables and fruit.
The 9.25 acre site is divided into 200 plus allotment plots of varying sizes. The present Romsey Allotment Holders Association was formed in 1942 to protect against house development on the site and Lord Mountbatten of Burma (owner of Broadlands at the time and who gave his backing to these aims) was elected first President of the Association. We now have over 170 Members with a number of plot holders having long tenancy histories.